Tuesday, May 10, 2011

April Album I: San Antonio

Oh, what a wonderful birthday month!  It started in San Antonio, where we basked in the sunshine with tons of playtime outdoors.  Before we arrived, I needed to buy shorts, short-sleeved shirts, and sandals for all of us.  It was strange not to be wearing our raincoats (or socks).  April in San Antonio is definitely the month to visit.
IMG_0618    IMG_0627
IMG_0766    IMG_0781
Leo got to meet his great-grandparents and great Aunt Mary - he enjoyed cuddle-time with everyone.  I loved taking these multiple-generation photos:
IMG_0653    2011-04-03 Mimi_AuntMary_Leo 009
2011-04-03 delaRosa_Patino_Lillard_girls 001
In the mornings, Leo liked to read the Express News with Nani and Gramps over coffee.
IMG_0679
We also experienced a bit of San Antonio living: lots of trips to HEB (especially during sample Saturdays), visiting the zoo, and getting together with my old classmates from Texas A&M Landscape Architecture – Studio 99.
IMG_0681
By the way, Dean was REALLY interested in looking at the animal pictures in the zoo map – we had to ask him to put it away so that he could enjoy the real animals.  He agreed to keep it in his pocket until lunchtime.  Here he’s planning our next route.
IMG_0714
The night I met my friends from A&M, I realized in a panic that I needed Mom and Dad to accompany me.  I actually had thought I could manage my three kids at this restaurant/play-place on my own until about an hour before we got there.  I’m so grateful that my parents came with me… Thanks, Nani and Gramps! 
Look at us, twelve years and nine kids later.
IMG_1029
One of the best events this month: Fiona became potty-trained!!  She had many cheerleaders to encourage her.  Mom and I giggled that she often declared from the potty, “I want Gramps!” 
More great events: Leo and I squeezed in as many naps as we could. 
Lillards in SA (33)
We missed Matt terribly, but we made up for it with FaceTime phone calls almost daily. 
  Lillards in SA (57)
Our adventure in Texas continued on to my grandparents’ ranch in Kenedy and Padre Island…

2 comments:

Kate said...

Wow, Lora. I'm in awe that you pulled this off. Looks like it was totally worth it. Grandparents are the best. I love the multi-generation photos, too. I really am amazed by how much Dean and Oscar resemble each other. When I show Oscar pictures of you guys (he still talks about you), sometimes he mistakes Dean for himself. I'm in envy of the potty training. No progress on that front here, despite my attempts at bribery.

Lora said...

Thanks, Kate - this trip was awesome. Your comment about Oscar and Dean looking alike reminds me of the day you met Matt. We took these pictures at the old North Bridge, and you and I decided that you guys could be siblings :) We wish we lived closer - the kids really did hit it off!