Friday, January 6, 2012

Mapping our lives

We were having a dinner conversation (yes! it can be done!) last night about where each of us was born, looking at the U.S.A. placemats.  In the case of my three kiddos, it so happens that they were all born in the same hospital, just down the hall from one another, in different years.  Of course, my birthplace is off the map, so my dear esposo explained to Dean where Panama is, and then proceeded to narrate the story of all the places where I grew up - in order, ending with where Daddy and Mommy met (College Station, TX), got married (San Antonio), first lived together (Dallas), went to grad school (Seattle) and have lived since (Portland). 

Dean watched Daddy's finger point to every place I lived, and when Matt finished, he asked, "But how do you know all the places where Mommy lived even though you weren't with her?"  I was pretty impressed, too - it's a long list of places to keep track of.  I said, "When you love someone, you learn all about them, even the parts that they did before you knew them." 
 "But, Mommy, I really love you, and I don't know all about you." Wow.
"Well, Dean, we have lots of time.  You can ask me any questions, and you'll learn all about me. And I'll keep asking you questions so that I can continue to learn all about you."


I love age 5!  He is soaking it all in. And we need a bigger map.

(p.s. This is a photo that was taken during another dinner conversation, when Dean was told that someday he would grow facial hair.  And, I was lucky enough to capture his bewildered and perplexed reaction!)

1 comment:

Whispering 60 said...

Facial hair really???? I love it when you asked those kinds of questions!!