Saturday, January 22, 2011

no nap cold turkey

Day 2 of our decision to go cold turkey without a nap for Dean.  Friday morning, Dean woke us up at 4:30 and could not go back to sleep.  I had taken a Tylenol PM at midnight to help me sleep, which is supposed to give you 8 hours of good sleep, so you do the math.  We've been fighting his early morning tendencies for four plus years, but when we are woken up before 5 a.m., it does not bring out the best in our parenting.  Unfortunately, the early-morning-rising-and-nap combination is cyclical.  When Dean wakes up super early, he usually naps really well - and we like naptime because it's an opportunity to catch up on sleep ourselves - and so the cycle continues... 

So Friday I decided to sacrifice my nap and keep him up in the afternoon.  Usually, it makes no difference the next day - he still wakes up before 6 at least, as he did this morning - which is why we've kept the naps.  There is usually little reward for a napless day.  But still, maybe after a week, we can get closer to 7?  I feel like a zombie.  I clearly need more sleep than my four-year-old.  Mistake?  We shall see... 

No comments: