Thursday, March 25, 2010

swift to love

"Life is short and we have never too much time for gladdening the hearts of those who are travelling the dark journey with us. Oh be swift to love, make haste to be kind."
 Henri Frédéric Amiel (1821-1881) Swiss writer.
I am ashamed for not always taking the time to lift up, celebrate, and reach out to those around me - neighbors, coworkers, friends, and even my family.  Love comes from within ourselves, but if it remains there, it will dry up, unexposed and meaningless.

I am reflecting on love and life, but this time it's not guided by estate planning:   My dear friend's brother passed away this week at age 37.  Reaching out to him, I was so dumbstruck that I had trouble finding the words to express my sorrow.

I'm also struggling with these last few months at work, where (for a number of reasons, too many to discuss here) the environment has ranged anywhere from indifferent to toxic, and morale is the lowest I can remember.  Today, I was humbled by how little effort it took toward building trust, and frankly, it's embarrassing that so much time had passed.  I have not exactly radiated with kindness lately.  Death is a raw reminder to answer the call to love.  Oh be swift.

No comments: